The new BMW R18 launched
The new BMW R18 launched in an online univeil event
With the new BMW R18 launched, BMW Motorrad now enters the cruiser segment. Like no other BMW motorcycle before it, this model stands entirely in the tradition of historical BMW motorcycles – both technically and in terms of design style. It borrows from famous models such as the BMW R 5, shifting the focus back onto the motorcycle essentials: purist, no-frills technology and the boxer engine as the epicentre of riding pleasure, combined with “good vibrations”.
The highlights of The new BMW R18 launched:
• Iconic style blending modern technology with authentic materials.
• Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1 802 cc.
• Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4 750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3 000 rpm.
• More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2 000 to 4 000 rpm.
• Exposed drive-shaft based on the classic role model.
• Elaborately crafted double-loop steel tube frame.
• Rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
• Telescopic fork with sleeves and cantilever suspension strut featuring travel-dependent damping.
• Harmonious ergonomics for relaxed riding and optimum control.
• Disc brakes front and rear, with wire-spoked wheels.
• State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
• Adaptive turning light for even better illumination of the road when cornering as an ex factory option.
• Classically designed circular instrument with integrated display.
• Keyless Ride for convenient function activation by remote control.
• Three standard riding modes, ASC and MSR.
• Reverse assist for convenient manoeuvring and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as ex factory options.
• The R 18 First Edition: exclusive look in paint and chrome.
• Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a cool Ride & Style Collection
Engine – BMW R 18
Capacity cc / cui 1,802 / 110
Bore/stroke mm 107.1/100
Output kW/hp 67/91 at engine speed rpm 4,750
Torque Nm 158 at engine speed rpm 3,000
Type – Air/water-cooled 2-cylinder 4-stroke boxer engine
No. of cylinders -2
Compression/fuel – 9.6:1 / premium unleaded (95-98 RON)
Valve/accelerator actuation – OHV
Valves per cylinder- 4
Ø intake/outlet mm 41.2/35.0
Ø throttle valves mm 48
Engine control – BMS-O
Emission control – Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, EU5 exhaust standard
Alternator W 600
Battery V/Ah 12/26 maintenance-free
LED low beam with projection module
LED high beam with projection module
Starter kW 1.5
Power transmission – gearbox
Clutch – Hydraulically activated single-disc dry clutch
Gearbox – Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox
Primary ratio – 1.16
Rear wheel drive – Universal shaft
Transmission ratio – 3.091
Frame construction type – Double-loop steel tube frame
Front wheel control – Telescopic fork, fork tube Ø 49 mm
Rear wheel control – Cantilever
Total spring travel, front/rear mm 120/90
Wheel castor mm 150.0
Wheelbase mm 1,731
Steering head angle ° 57.3
Brakes – front Twin disc brake Ø 300 mm
Rear Single disc brake Ø 300 mm
ABS – BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
front 3.5 x 19”
rear 5.0 x 16”
Tyres front 120/70 R 19 or B 19 (manufacturer-dependent) rear 180/65 B 16
Dimensions and weights
Total length mm 2,440
Total width with mirrors mm 964
Seat height mm 690
DIN unladen weight, road ready kg 345
Permitted total weight kg 560
Fuel tank capacity l 16
Fuel consumption (WMTC) l/100 km 5.6
CO2 emissions (WMTC): g/km 129
0‒100 km/h s 4.8
Top speed km/h 180